Friday, January 30, 2009

The U-Haul Miracle

Since moving to D.C., I have slept on an air mattress. I really liked my air mattress. But last week when I was in West Virginia for a work training, I was contemplating why I liked being in the hotel room so much more than I liked being in my room at home. Aha! It had a real bed.

I checked out craigslist, felt compelled to go look at one bed in particular, met the people selling it (needed space in their guestroom for their baby), and decided to buy it. Of course the bed is in downtown D.C. and is very large (queen size, pillow top--love it!), so I rented a U-Haul van to pick it up.

My buddy Wayne graciously came with me. I had never rented a U-Haul before, and didn't really know what to expect. We pull up to the U-Haul place and all these men are standing near the road. When I drive past them, they start CHASING my car. I thought maybe I was driving somewhere I shouldn't be. I stopped and rolled down the window, and the five men started yelling "moving? moving? moving?" I respectfully declined their help. Then we parked, were told we'd get towed so I had Wayne move my car to the semi-near by Circuit City parking lot, and was thoroughly hating my time at the U-Haul.

Eventually we were on our way in the massive van (the entire bed lay flat inside--it was huge) and things were good. A couple miles from the U-Haul--before we were even on the freeway--my GPS said "battery dead" and powered off. PANIC. I have no idea how to get there, I am driving this massive van, it is dark, and now I am lost. We miss the freeway, start driving around aimlessly, I am very stressed and freaking out. The GPS won't work because the cigarete lighter in the van didn't work, so there was no power. Oh yeah--and U-Haul charges by the mile, so I didn't really want to find my way home and then look up directions and go back out.

So of course, I prayed. A lot. I was lost, and this was beyond my control. I felt like I should try turning the GPS back on, and I did, and it worked--it got me all the way to their condo downtown (about 15 minutes away).

We piled the bed in the van, left my new craigslist friends, got back in the van and tried to get the GPS back on. It was dead. Luckily Wayne was able to navigate us out of there, and once on the freeway I could get back home all right. The entire way home I kept trying to get the GPS on, but it never worked. But I really didn't need it to work anymore--I could find my way home without it. I told Wayne that often the Lord wouldn't do things for us that we could do for ourselves; but when we need Him, He is always there.

*side note--I lived in "U Hall" in Desert Towers my freshman year of college. I didn't get the joke about it being U Hall until APRIL when someone explained to me it was like Ryder Truck.

7 comments:

  1. Girl,

    I can't decide whether you just have more miracles than the average human or if you're just more diligent in recognizing them. I suspect it's a combo of both!

    You're the best. So glad you have your new bed safe and sound and that you arrived home without incident.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting lost is the worst. I got lost once and had to get off the freeway and go back the other direction. Let's just say there are some pretty scary places in L.A.

    I hope you like your new bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto Becky.

    That's all I got.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel... I love your life. well done on the new bed...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two lessons: 1. The Lord loves us and will help us with even small things if we just ask. 2. Paying for a furniture store to deliver stuff isn't as useless as Gary might lead you to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh! Horrible. Just for future reference-budget rent a truck is way cheaper than u haul, and they charge per day rather than per mile, so no biggie about driving around aimlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha Syphus.

    Rachel I have a funny moving experience that I can't post on the internet that I should tell you about when you come here.

    When my friend Ben moved to Florida for law school the only guy from the EQ who showed up for the move was blind.

    ReplyDelete