A year ago I returned to my desk in the law library where I sat with my three best friends to find Stacey, coatless. She had left her desk for a minute (literally) to go to the printer, and during that time someone had stolen her coat that she had left on her chair--though they had not touched her laptop or open wallet on the desk. Mine and Brooktynn's coats were also on our chairs, but they apparently were not nice enough to be stolen.This past Tuesday Stacey received a phone call from a BYU police officer. She went to the "talking area" of the law library and the cop told her that they had found the coat thief and Stacey could get about $75 for her stolen coat! Great news! Stacey called to tell me the news, left me a voicemail (I was busy with inauguration festivities), and then returned to her desk.
Her new coat was gone.
She thought it must be a prank. But no--for the second time since she began law school, there was a "coat thief" who managed to steal a lot of coats from the 1L section, and from Stacey. She called the cop back to tell him the news and he laughed.
Stacey and I must be related because that is just the kind of thing that would happen to me.
ReplyDeleteI hope she gets some more money for this one as well.
This would never happen at Ricks.
ReplyDeleteBahaha. Ha. Ha.
ReplyDeleteSigh.
Sad. But funny, right?
Poor Stacey.
Does she get another 75? (Um, so sad, and right when it is soooo cold.)
ReplyDeleteEffective use of possibly the most awesome picture ever!
ReplyDeleteShhhh....don't tell the coat thief this, but I'm going to set up a Sting operation in the carrels.
ReplyDeleteI'll leave my North Face Jacket conveniently "lying around" with a Go-go-gadget GPS tracking device sewn into its fur collar. When the unsuspecting thief attempts to take it, I will track him/her down and beat him/her over the head with a Criminal Procedure book... or I will simply detonate the fur collar.
I haven't quite decided which will be more satisfying yet.
This is so so so weird.... it must be a secret admirer trying to put a spell on her
ReplyDeleteI never had a coat stolen, but the only time I ever had a purse stolen (and credit cards used by the thief) was when I was in law school. I was searching for a change of scenery and had gone to the main library to study rather than the JRCLS. The law library used to be a safe place to study. The only things I ever had stolen from the law library were my tooth brush and tooth paste that I kept for a semester in my own private bathroom (all the others who studied on the bottom floor were men.) Stacey must have really good taste in clothes.
ReplyDelete