Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration; or, and you thought Edward was big

Last year I went to a concert in this tiny venue and it was PACKED. People were behind me pushing and I was completely surrounded. Imagine that (but worse) for a mile, and you have the Inauguration.

I was delighted on Saturday when my dear friend Andrea called to say she had an extra ticket I could have! My friends Scott & Janae were already planning on staying over Monday night, so this morning we set off together to venture our way into the District. Some other house guests said they were leaving at 4 a.m.! We decided to leave at 7, and we ended up being about the last people there!

On the way there we were VERY crowded on the Metro. Literally centimeters from me was VAL KILMER! My roommate met Josh Groban. My roommate also was the last train to stop at the L'Enfant Plaza Metro Stop. She said it took her AN HOUR to get out of there and people all around were passing out. So our train wouldn't stop there, and instead dropped us off further away and we got off and it was insane.

A few hours and lots of crowds/walking/insanity later, I made it to my spot. Scott and Janae's tickets were for a different area, so I enjoyed the Inauguration alone.

My spot was pretty close to the Capitol Building, but it was to the side of the bleachers so I couldn't see what was really happening but I had a great view of the Jumbotron! That actually might have worked out for the best because I was very amused by it. For example, it would show certain senators and people around me would start booing or cheering. Sadly, I didn't recognize the guy who got all the boos.


There were a lot of people there. The crowds were MUCH worse while attempting to leave the place.

For some reason the Jumbotron focused on McCain for a good five minutes. Give the guy a break!

Everyone went wild when Colin Powell came out. Sadly, Newt Gingrich did not receive the same response (though they actually announced Gingrich's name, not Powell's...)

I'll admit--I was most "star struck" by the Supreme Court.

Biden getting sworn in.
Obama! In February I was watching the news at the gym and knew Obama would be president. I've never doubted it since.

We decided to walk home since the block radius of every open metro station was jam-packed with people. It was funny to have everyone walking down the freeway.
You might remember my video footage of pre-Twilight excitement. They've got nothing on Obama. And I cheered along with them. It was honestly one of the greatest experiences of my life! p.s. click here for the greatest story ever! About my 1 1/2 year old nephew's love for Obama.

11 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed your experience as much as we did... despite the insane crowd and FREEZING cold weather! It was an amazing day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous! (Kind of - okay, I'm glad I got to watch it on TV in my warm office but to think - you were THERE!) I completely agree with your star-struck-edness of the Supremes. I love Justice John Roberts. I think he's sexy - sorry, but I do! I'm so hopeful about the next four years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to say you were crazy for walking home on the freeway, but then I remembered the brides were closed to vehicle traffic.

    It definitely wasn't that croweded in 2001 when I went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm glad I didn't have to walk home to Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so amazing that you got to be there. What a memorable experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic experience for posterity - I am so excited for you to marry Val Kilmer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you opted out of both Olympics that you could attend, I was afraid you were out of town. I am so glad you were there. I made my students watch and told them they would tell their grandchildren about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh - I'm so jealous! So, so jealous!

    BTW, was anyone else thinking about how strange it was to see so many important people all in one place? What a security nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you managed to get a picture of President Obama with his eyes closed. It's like you got a real live picture of him!

    As cool as that all sounded, I am not jealous of you. I would have gone nuts with all those people!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it and I'm WAY jealous of your seat. Chris totally loved the supreme court too -- he knew every one. You lawyers. ;)

    Can't wait to swap stories. It was incredible.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. P.S. I decided to be offended by the title of this post. How can you say that?! I thought I knew you, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete