Sunday, March 11, 2007

DEATH CONCERT

In September my friend Chris came over to my house and commented how I should throw a concert there. We had two last semester and they were just magical, so yesterday we had our third.... Unfortunately I get bored with "normal" things, so I threw a death concert.

The requested dress was "funeral formal" and all of the songs performed involved death. I sang a poem of Emily Dickinson set to atonal music - "A Funeral in my Brain." I also sang (and died) during "A Little Fall of Rain" from Les Mis! amazing! My roommate committed suicide during Dido's Lament - we had a flute/bass/guitar trio to "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (I realize that song isn't really about death, but it worked). The funeral potatoes for refreshments were of course a hit!



After I "died," the Nirvana number was performed and I just continued lying dead (can you see me?) My roommate was lying on the ground near the flautist. Hmm. This sounds very odd.


We set up our living room to look like a funeral home...I realized how weird it was when we were all sitting there in black and the death march was playing and my friend Jackie yelled "Rachel, sorry I missed the viewing!"

3 comments:

  1. Why the hell wasn't I invited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I need to check your blog more often. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen. Go Cougs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I almost forgot how AMAZING the Death Concert was...what great/grief-filled memories! I laughed out loud a few times re-reading about it.

    ReplyDelete