Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Book Movie Reviews

I have a problem. I will read a book and then as soon as I finish I want to see the movie. I know it's going to be bad. I know I will hate it. But I just can't help myself. After just finishing Count of Monte Cristo and then watching the movie (seriously, people??), I need to give a few movie reviews.

The Great Gatsby
Perhaps the most notable example of this is The Great Gatsby. This might be my favorite book. I don't think it lends itself well to movies because the brilliance is in the writing. Anyway, I checked it out from the library and all I can remember is some weird pillow fight or them throwing clothes around a room? We'll see how Leonardo does.

Frankenstein
I loved Frankenstein when I read it last year. My buddy and I decided to watch the movie and were sad to realize that it was NOTHING like the book!! Though I did cry. Of course. Then my buddy gave me  a very true-to-the-book mini series of Frankenstein and I watched it and it was kind of boring because, obviously, I knew what was going to happen. And thus I learned that you just can't win.

War and Peace
My new favorite book has got to be War and Peace. It is brilliant. And I was optimistic about this movie because, come on, it has Audrey Hepburn!!! Unfortunately, they made Pierre good looking and made the entire movie about Natasha. And missed the entire point of the book about hardships making you a better person with depth of soul. But I actually finished the movie, which is saying something.

Anna Karenina
My Tolstoy kick last summer had me jump right into Anna Karenina. I think I need to give this one a second chance. I started watching the miniseries and just gave up after an hour because I was so bored.

Vanity Fair
I was excited for Vanity Fair as it was modern and pretty so thought I might enjoy it. Unfortunately, they forgot to make Becky mean (which is the entire point of the book, right?). And they changed the ending.

Les Mis
I'm about to make a lot of people angry. First of all, I read the abridged copy. It was just the one I had on hand, and I do not regret it. Second, I watched a movie of it and it was sooo boring and didn't have any of the good stuff. I have also seen the musical version twice since reading the book last year and I think it is super confusing, though the second time I saw it, it was a high school production and the guy playing Jean Van Jean was 17 and BLEW MY MIND he was so good. WOW! Okay, and I am a little excited for the movie, minus Anne Hathaway singing.


Dracula
I think the thing I like about these books is the crazy stuff that happens that is always cut out of the movie adaptation. I am trying to be more reasonable about limitations, especially movies from the 1930s. But it breaks my heart when I read something and am so excited to see it portrayed, and instead it is cut out. Anyway, I tried to watch Dracula while running and was again sooo bored because they took out all the crazy stuff. Love that book!

Count of Monte Cristo
Oh, this wound is too fresh! I loved every single one of the 1464 pages that is Count of Monte Cristo. It was the perfect adventure novel and I loved the craziness of poisoning, costumes, intrigue at the opera, everything. I loved everything. And I was warned to not watch the movie, but I still did and unlike the book that takes 700 pages to get the Count to Paris to start revenge, the movie just had him jump to Paris and kill everyone. bummer.

I would be remiss to not include what is, IMHO, the best book to film adaptation. Hands down.

Twilight
Dear Stephenie Meyer, when I read Twilight I kept on screaming and vowed to never read any other of your books. No one wants to be in Bella's head. But there is just something about your story that touched my heart, and I am so glad that they made the movie better than the book.

In other news, happy birthday to me!


6 comments:

  1. I think the new Great Gatsby movie looks excellent. And Hugh Jackman can sing so I have high hopes for the Les Mis movie (though I never read the book). And I didn't read Vanity Fair, but I remember seeing some miniseries (maybe a masterpiece classic one?) and being really disgusted with the main character so maybe check out that adaptation? It was a downer watching her destroy her life. The problem I see with lots of movie adaptations is everything is rushed and so the character development doesn't feel authentic. So I usually like miniseries adaptations better because they take more time with the plot and character development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, the thing that bugged me the most about the War and Peace movie was the costumes. They're just. So. WRONG! (Not having read the book- yet- I had few other qualms.)

    Also, I think there's a version of Anna Karenina out there with Sean Bean that's supposed to be good. I saw the same one you did and I thought it was boring too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The french miniseries of Count of Monte Cristo with Gerard Depardieu is excellent. I would recommend it to you, but I'm beginning to notice a pattern here, like mini series aren't your thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. RM, I love this post. Also, here's the trailer for the new Gatsby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rARN6agiW7o I'm still bitter that Nick isn't Ryan Gosling and that Daniel Desario isn't Gatsby, but what are you going to do? Also, I decided that Channing Tatum would make an awesome Tom because he is big and muscular and makes any movie better for his presence (too bad he makes it worse when he talks?) In other news, they are remaking Anna Karenina with Kiera Knightley. Just when I thought to myself "whatever happened to that girl." Still, I would go for the Sean Bean version, because he is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 12, 2012

    Rachel, I love reading your blog, which your mom reminds me to do every so often. Your single/aging/book review comments were all riveting and I can identify with them all. I love your attitude toward life. Remember, I was "old" when I got married -- nearly 27, which for my generation was like 35 now! And I'm glad I wasn't 19. I found that after I got engaged, men seemed to like me all of a sudden. Maybe it's the challenge? Think about wearing an engagement ring and see what happens! As to "Anna Karenina", it's one of my two favorite books (the other being "Pride & Prejudice". The first 50 pages of Anna are hard to get in to, but once it gets going, it is so rich and detailed and full of life and insight. I'm crazy about it, and it's nearly a thousand pages long. There's never been a good movie or TV version of it, though. I'll give Kiera Knightley the benefit of the doubt, because I adored "her" version of "Pride & Prejudice", even though my all-time favorite remains the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle mini-series, which is the best book adaptation in the history of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJuly 12, 2012

    I am the anonymous commenter, above, because I'm too stupid to know how to identify myself any other way. Aunt Helen

    ReplyDelete