In 2009 my mom and sister-in-law Emily were coming out for Thanksgiving! We had tickets to some shows and were very excited. Days before the big trip, James got diagnosed with cancer, and Emily stayed home. THANKFULLY everyone is healthy now, so it was time for the girls trip to occur.Of course when my aunt Helen heard we were going to NYC to see the opera, she was in. She had only been to NYC once before (30 years ago!) and Emily had never been. My mom spent a good 40 hours there in 2009 so was of course a pro.
So the ladies all flew into DC on a Tuesday night and then Wed morning I drove to the Big Apple! Emily got to witness my parallel parking in Harlem. ha!
First things first--we went to see Wicked!
I snuck in some Levains cookies so we ate them during the show.
After Wicked we ate dinner and then headed over the Met to see La Traviata! I am so obsessed with the opera. During that opera I plotted when I could see my next opera and have seen two in DC since.
Emily is so cute!!!
When I asked my mom to buy me gifts at the Met gift shop she said "you have a job. I don't." Surprisingly, nothing was purchased.
We slept at this great bed and breakfast in Harlem. Highly recommend. Amazing (free!) breakfast and half the price of the hotels downtown.
Thursday we took the Staten Island Ferry for our free view of the Statue of Liberty!
We also checked out the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Central Park. Seriously how cute are these sisters???
After Central Park I dragged everyone across town to eat dinner at Juniors in Times Square. I love Juniors cheesecake. YUM! Emily and I impressed ourselves by being SOOO stuffed and then when we were about to leave we both ate more cheesecake.
We decided to take the ladies home to relax for the night while Emily and I went and explored the city. As we were walking to the subway I said I had to go check something really fast and told them to come with me. Suddenly they were confused because people were going through their purses??? They didn't understand until we were on the escalator going upstairs that we had tickets to see THE LION KING!
This show is mind blowingly good. Seriously, could I have them come all the way to New York City and not see Lion King? While we were going inside my mom said she felt bad I spent so much money on tickets and I said "bet you wish you bought me those earrings at the Met Gift Shop now!"
Loved Lion King. Friday we had a morning session at the Manhattan temple (love!) and then drove back to DC. Money shot.
Then cousin Jill and her family came over for dinner!! Love them! Sad we didn't get to see them more!
Saturday we saw DC in one day. It was great.
Sunday they came to my singles ward and we saw the National Cathedral and introduced Helen to the West Wing. phew. What a trip!!! It was GLORIOUS!! Hope to do it next year, and maybe Sarah Jane can come that time. :) Luckily Sarah Jane did come visit me a month later for a wedding, and when it was 10:30 p.m. on a Friday night she said "the night is young and my kids are with my mom. what are we going to do next?" so we went dancing until 12:30 a.m. and then the next night we sang karaoke until past midnight! Sarah Jane is VERY good at karaoke. She rocked Lady Gaga.


Love that you said--bet you wish you would have bought me those earrings. Hahaha.
ReplyDeleteYou are all so cute . . . and yes, the earrings banter was my favorite.
ReplyDelete