A few years ago I was walking across BYU Campus and noticing all of the Christmas decorations. My first thought was to how much money they cost, and how that money could have gone to scholarships.... But then I started thinking about why they would put so much money into this, and I realized it was because we are celebrating the birth of Christ! It is a marvelous thing!When I think of Christ, what often comes to mind is the scripture that I feel I can relate to most:
"Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
"I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
"And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
"My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
"He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh." -- 2 Nephi 4:17-21
"And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
"My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.
"He hath filled me with his love, even unto the consuming of my flesh." -- 2 Nephi 4:17-21
At a temple workers' devotional on Sunday, President Tingey told us there are three levels of Christmas: Santa Claus, Baby Jesus, and the adult Jesus (and the Atonement). All three are important, but Christmas would not matter without the third. I am so grateful for this time of year when I am able to be reminded a little more often of The Savior.
Beautiful! I love that -- three levels of Christmas. What a beautiful way to think about it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for always reminding me what's important in life. You're amazing.
Rachel, you are such a cool person and a wonderful example. I'm so glad I know you!
ReplyDeleteThat is a good way to think of it. I've been thinking lately about how the idea of Santa Claus prepares kids to understand our loving Heavenly Father who gives us the best gifts--despite our naughtiness! Merry Christmas!
ReplyDelete