Monday, July 23, 2012

Separation of church and state

At my work everyone has a nickname that starts with Big. There is Big Show (ironic) and Big Soda and Big Cup of Shut Up. 

I did not come up with any of these.

No one could find the right nickname for me. They tried a lot--I greatly protested "big eater"--and then one day I arrived at work and my co-worker Bill said "I figured out the perfect nickname for you: Big Love!"

I was shocked.  I laughed awkwardly and might have mentioned that was wildly inappropriate. The next week I was in Ft. Worth for work and was surprised to see that Bill had replied-all to an email from my boss and in that email referred to me as Big Love. I gchatted co-worker Michael and told him I couldn't believe that Bill had used that nickname because it was so inappropriate.

Michael asked why I found it so offensive and I said obviously because it was making fun of my religion. He asked how, specifically, and I was aghast! Why was everyone messing with me? So I explain to him about the HBO show called Big Love that is about a lot of polygamists, and even if that is in my ancestry it should not be my work nickname. Then Michael said that was weird that I had polygamist ancestry.

Meanwhile in DC, my co-workers are discussing how perplexed they are that I am offended by this nickname. One suggestion was that maybe I found it inappropriate to bring attention to my showing emotions at work. And then after Michael explained to them, they all said "I have never even heard of that show."

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha . . . too late to un-mention polygamy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious... I guess by "love" they meant all your lesson planning of marriage prep? Still laughing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought of the big love show immediately too. I've never seen an episode but have heard about it. I guess people don't know much about our church for positive or negative.

    ReplyDelete