Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I love my job

I went to Ft. Worth for work two weeks ago. It was great to have a work-paid trip to Texas so I could see my family, but while I was working every day at the office in Ft. Worth I would day dream about being back at my normal office in Washington DC. I missed the work. I missed the people. I realized how much I love my normal life because of how much I missed my normal life when I was out of town for nearly a month!

Anyway, yesterday at work was particularly memorable. So, here are some examples of why I love my job...

- I work directly with (primarily) white guys in their 20s, but there are a hundred other people that I see on a daily basis due to my open work environment. A month ago one of them commented how he likes this TV show Whitney and whenever he sees it he thinks that Whitney is exactly like me. What??? Apparently it is because of my cool demeanor at work. Yesterday this new guy came up to me and said "you always look so chill--just relaxing at your desk. I need to check out your world." and I agreed, and then said maybe my new "cool" reputation for slouching at my desk and calling everyone "man" was hurting my career, and this guy disagreed and said "You are the coolest lawyer I have ever met".

- Another guy at work yesterday asked me if I was married yet. I said no and he said I was crushing (or something cooler than I would ever be able to say) and then told me that I had nice legs. hahaha

- We had work leadership training last week and discussed our dreams for our job and beyond and I mentioned how my dream was to be a talk show host and my co-workers are encouraging me to buy a slot on access cable and said they'd be guests. We also said how our #1 dream for work is that we can all stay co-workers in the same dept for the rest of our careers. A few minutes later my buddy turned to me and said "Rachel, I have a problem. You always say how you want to stay working with us forever, but in 2 years you are going to quit because you are married and have kids." Then he made me shake on how I would never quit. Then I discussed the only solution with another co-worker: I must marry some deadbeat guy who never wants to work.

- Lest you think I only like my job because I just socialize all the time, last week I was the only one at work and sat at my desk and burned through stuff for 8 hours straight without taking a lunch break. I then proclaimed at the end "THIS WAS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!"

- I sang a solo at our ward's Christmas program on Sunday and my boss came to support me! Afterwards she met a lot of my friends and every one of them said something along the lines of "Does Rachel behave at work because she doesn't at church" or "must learn a lot of patience working with Murdock every day." My boss laughed a lot, and then on Monday said to everyone else "Rachel's friends think she is wild!"

And to think I get paid for this!

6 comments:

  1. Rachel, you never cease to amaze me. Did you tell your coworkers about your awesome letters to the troops? I laughed all the way home thinking about the funny things you could/would tell a soldier. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Love you! Who couldn't?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! This was great. I love how much you love your job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to love your job and have your coworkers love you. I'm so glad you didn't go into education. (It never works that way in schools.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Work IS pretty sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! This is amazing.

    Now you can expand your man-search to include the deadbeats.

    ReplyDelete