
About a decade ago I had my first Reuben ever at Katz's Deli in Austin. I loved it. For years after I thought I loved Reubens and would order them periodically and was always disappointed. Then one day I was reading this article on an airplane listing the best Reubens in the country.
The #1 Reuben? Katz's Deli. I was ruined for life.

Well, I just found out that Katz's is closing its doors forever this week!!! We had to go.
There was a long wait since everyone is rushing to get their last minute Reubens.

Waiting for our food to arrive...

While we were waiting Mr. Katz came and stood right next to us and made a good-bye speech. He is a celebrity since he's on all of the commercials.

My Reuben arrived at last!

Everyone loved it!

Now I never have to eat another Reuben again. The only disappointment of the trip was that for YEARS I have been thinking about their milkshake with an entire slice of cheesecake inside of it. The waitress told me once how it was crazy good and no one could ever finish it on their own. I decided today was my day to order it. After much table debate, we decided to go for it...but then the waiter said they were out of ice cream. The world will never know how good that milkshake was.
Farewell, Katz's.
RACHEL!! Is this the same Katz Deli as the one in Manhattan? AMAZING Reubens there. Did you know that the Reuben is my favorite sandwich of all time? I am a connoisseur of sorts and I'm telling you that Burger Supreme in Provo gives Katz's a run for their money. Seriously. Next time you're there...
ReplyDeleteWow... that sandwich looks REALLY good! Maybe we'll have to buy ice cream and cheesecake sometime and whip up a snack!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Russell's little girl is adorable!
Today's paper said they had to close a day early because they ran out of food. January 1st was their last day. So glad you got your Reuben.
ReplyDelete