Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Miracle of the day

To celebrate my birthday/help Becky move, Sang and her family came out to D.C. in June. It was a perfect trip...besides one minor tragedy:

Sang lost her wedding ring.

We searched...and searched....and searched. I rented a metal detector. Sang and her husband Devin went through every inch of the house (even took apart pipes in my bathroom); I took every item out of my bedroom and tore up part of the carpet.

The ring was gone.

On Sunday I am sitting in church and hear an announcement about a "significant ring" being found. I was thinking about the phrasing of that when my roommate walks in, sits next to me and says "it's Sang's." It took me a second to realize YES! Sadly, I missed the rest of the announcement. After the meeting, I ran up to my bishop to get more information. An hour later, he introduced me to a man who had found a ring in the parking lot in early June. He had thought it was a fake ring, and was about to throw it away but then had the thought to instead take it to his jeweler friend who told him that it was indeed real and ought to be in a safe! For two months he has worried about this (maybe they made an announcement before, but if so, I hadn't heard it) and they decided to try it again. After a vague description of it being a "platinum or white gold ring with a solitare diamond" and trying to find a picture of the ring on my roommate's iPhone, it was deemed the ring had found its owner (almost). He went home and got the ring to bring back to me at church!!!

Yesterday I overnighted the ring to Sang, and it is currently back on her finger.

9 comments:

  1. Wow. that really is a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. talk about an answered prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Seriously?! Amazing... :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't Sang be commenting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it nice when things like this work out?

    I should blog about my lost CTR ring freshman year. I don't know if you remember about it, but they found it in the shower and were acting really weird about it until they found out it was mine.

    Come to find out, they thought it was a girl's ring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story. It is entirely amazing, through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No way! That is one true miracle...lucky girl Sang is...LUCKY girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey "Anonymous" - here I am!!! I was thinking about you, Rachel, and since it is wayyyyy to late to call I hopped on your blog! It was so fun/incredible to relive this miraculous experience while reading your post! There are not words to truly describe my elation/gratitude for being reunited with my wedding ring! God knows us and loves us and cares about all the little details. And you, Rachel, are an INCREDIBLE friend. (P.S. Thank you for not detailing the hysterics you endured over the phone after giving me the wonderful news. I imagine my shrieking could have been compared to a number of animal sounds.)

    ReplyDelete