Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Do what is right, let the consequence follow, part II; or, I am awkward

The reason I so like this line “do what is right; let the consequence follow” is that sometimes we do what is right and the consequence is not what we would have hoped for…but it doesn’t make our action any less right!

Continuing on with the theme of my previous post, I have had lots and lots of wonderful experiences. I think the following was a real learning experience for me on obedience and the concept of acting NOW! And, coincidentally, I think it is the funniest of all:

My first semester of law school, I went on a date with a boy in my ward whom I did not really know but occasionally talked to at church. A few days after the date I prayed and felt that I needed to serve him that day by stopping by his house. I was very opposed to that idea as I had never before been to his house and he was going to think I was obsessed. (Perhaps this story can also give you a glimpse into why I’m still single…)

So I decide instead of going to visit him I will call him. I am at the law library, so I give him a quick call and remind him about something regarding our callings. Then I purposefully asked him how his day was—thinking that might redeem this phone call—and after a short and slightly awkward conversation, I realize that, sadly, this phone call was not going to work to replace my later visit.

After a long day at school and Institute, I have a brilliant remembrance: a month earlier I had come upon a few dozen donuts and had taken them around the apartments and handed them out. I realized I had a coupon for donuts and could do that and have an excuse to stop by his house! I go home, find my roommate and a friend and the three of us go out and deliver donuts. Sadly, as we approach this guy’s house, I see him walking out, talking to someone. So we just give a donut to his roommate.

An hour later I am home from passing out donuts and it is at least 11 p.m. and I think I have to just give up. But instead I pray and feel that I need to go back to his house.

I start walking there and am feeling very awkward now and a few feet from his house I stop and audibly yell something like “I can’t do this!” and then look over and realize I am standing right next to his car. And he is sitting in it, on his cell phone. Grasping that my behavior is odd, I quickly call someone on my phone too so it looks like I am just walking around, talking on the phone. Right when my conversation ends I see him getting out of his car (What great timing! I can finally talk to him and have this be over!) But instead he says hello and runs off, saying he’s late to go somewhere. Foiled again!

Now I go home. It is almost midnight. I am getting ready for bed and pray and say that I did my best but I can’t even go over to his house now because (a) he is not home and (b) I would be breaking the Honor Code! Instead, I feel like I need to write him a note. I pray about what I should write and give him this note basically saying I had been attempting all day to serve him but it wasn’t working and so I was writing this and it was the Lord’s way of saying He was mindful of his needs and also of humbling me.

That guy never spoke to me again.

9 comments:

  1. One of the best stories ever. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious.

    By the end of all that, you should have just embraced the awkwardness and started sitting next to him at every meeting, sending him mix tapes, writing your name with his last name all over your binder, humming "I Love to See the Temple" whenever he walks by, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was your roomie when this happened. I remember it so well! I saw this guy at Macey's grocery store a week ago...

    I so relate to your story...and I should start writing about all the times that you magically answered your phone when I needed you to so we could go serve someone.

    Lastly, Nathan I don't know who you are. But we should be best friends. My life motto is "Embrace Awkwardness." The End.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last line of this post. You are such a great person, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the last line of this post. You are such a great person, I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi J,

    Rachel and I go WAY back (to freshman year). I like your motto because I've had to embrace awkwardness out of necessity. If I didn't, there is no way I'd make it through a normal day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awkward it's awesome . . . awesomely funny, and awesome that you still believe in the principle of the matter even though you got burned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooooh... thats a great story! Hey, at least you didnt throw up on him as he was already late for someting....

    Lol, good luck next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad this story is on your blog! That was a great day :). And let's be honest, the story is way better because of the way it ended. It wouldn't be as funny if things had worked out. ;)

    ReplyDelete