Tonight, before our SIX hours of laser tag, bowling, rock climbing and billiards, I was talking to my sister-in-law and she was saying what she would blog if she had a blog. And it was brilliant. So, Sarah Jane, this is for you!
Last week Sarah Jane and I had the great idea to have a contest: who could make an alphabetical list of all fifty states first. We spent a little more time than I'd care to share, and then read our lists out loud to each other. I missed Indiana; she missed Hawaii. Not too bad, we thought. But we both counted our lists and only had 49. It seemed odd that we would both have missed the same state. So we found a map of the states that did not have the states' names and went through all of them that way.
But there was one state that we had NO IDEA what it was or what it was called. Sarah Jane thought the name started with an N, I swore it must start with an I. We racked our brains and were completely clueless.
Finally we circled the nameless state and ran upstairs, hoping that Russell could solve our mystery. He took one look at the map and said, "Minnesota." And indeed, he was right (we even looked at a different map--with names--to verify).
To make up for my wrong to Minnesota, here is a link to its Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota
Did you know Minnesota is the 12th largest state? And the 21st most populous? Did you ever think that the word "popular" came from "population"?
Um. Did you never learn the song "Fifty Nifty United States" when you were in grade school? I would seriously kill you in a contest to name all fifty states in alphabetical order.
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting that. Seriously, I was starting at that state thinking, "How is this not a Canadian province???"
ReplyDeleteThat makes it even sadder that that's where Chris is hoping to get a job after school. They have one of the best schools for his program but I refuse to move somewhere that people have to walk in underground tunnels during the winter because it's too cold. Thanks for supporting my feelings that Minnesota is not a very important place!
ReplyDelete