I love Aerosmith. This has nothing to do with them.
I’m reading this book called “A Short History of Nearly Everything” and it’s all about the history of everything (obviously) and scientists. It’s reminding me of my hidden dream in life. I’ve always wanted to be one of those people who are so brilliant and so quirky and completely and utterly passionate about what they do to the point that it consumes them and social oddities in their behavior would never even cross their mind because they don’t care! There is work to be done – things to discover! And people would come and ask them questions about the topic and they would be so kind and welcoming to someone with an interest in what they love – but of course they would try to explain it and it would be too confusing to anyone but to them. That would be the life. I love hearing about Isaac Newton and how sometimes as he was getting out of bed he’d start thinking about something and it would overcome him so he’d just be sitting there for hours, stuck on the thought. It’s wonderful! But you have to be really, really smart in order to achieve acceptance or respect with such odd behavior. I am neither that intelligent nor that quirky, so it will never work.
But I also realize that perhaps it is for the best. Because as you delve more into their lives, you see some of the downfalls (which I in a romantic sense would imagine did not exist – but alas – there are downfalls). Newton never married because, though he once loved, he got too distracted by his work. A lot of scientists ended up committing suicide, having families leave them or experiencing misery because they forget about important things like not spending every penny you have on fossils. It’s sad. I even watched “Walk the Line” yesterday and saw how Johnny Cash’s passion for music ruined his life (and I don’t care what anyone thinks about it having a happy ending and his marrying June – his wife left him! He was a drug addict! This is not good!!)
So, my dream is crushed. I have had to face reality and realize my being consumed by any passion is bad – moderation in all things I suppose?
(*well, no, I must give the correct answer to this problem. Read Elder Oaks’ talk “Our Strengths Can Become Our Downfalls”. The talk is incredible and he says the solution is not moderation in all things but rather loving the Lord with everything.)
No comments:
Post a Comment