For quite some time now I have mocked blogs. But even moreso, I have mocked those who read blogs (myself included) because it's one thing to write about how your life is boring, but it's quite another to voluntarily read about it! That's why I never had a blog earlier - imagine a law school blog...no one would want to read that. Who cares about such gems as International Shoe? But I figured that living in Australia might pose more of an interesting background for a blog. Though the oddest thing about living in Australia is how normal it is. Everyday I wake up around 4 a.m. (okay - I'm still adjusting to the time change), go to work, go to K-Mart (I told you that it's huge here!), go home, and sleep for 10 hours (again - adjusting). It reminds me of when I was trying to decide where to go to law school. I so desperately wanted to go to school in D.C. - or really anywhere besides Provo because I was so tired of Provo and Provo was so lame! But then my brother gave me some sage advice: "Rachel, is it really worth $100,000 to study in a law library in a different part of the country?" And so I attended BYU Law! And it is true that the only difference studying elsewhere would be is the commute to and from school...and maybe the fact that at other law schools the other students spend their weekends drinking instead of studying insane amounts of hours because of a desire to support their wives and numerous children. But I do love school. Recently I even found myself more homesick for law school than anythine else! That really is twisted...
And so I blog. I promise to one day have exciting encounters with marsupials with accompanying pictures so that this blog can fulfill its great purposes. Or perhaps I will just continue to reminisce about my once passion of getting a master's degree in creative writing. How I went from that to law school I'll never know! Maybe it has to do with the correlation between first thinking of attending law school and taking a creative writing class, wherein I had the privilege of reading my classmates' literary masterpieces involving such key phrases as "placenta on the sidewalk". That led to hours of entertainment for my roommates, neighbors, and random friends living on my couch for six weeks.
Anyway - enjoy!
I've struggled with some self hatred for starting a blog. Thanks for the shout-out about the homeless person living on your couch.
ReplyDeleteThe best part about blogs is that once this lame girl defamed me on her blog and I have never laughed so hard in my life. I even read it to my students and sent it to tons of people. You know you've made it when someone starts hating on you on their blog. But kind of sad that they are that pathetic. Blogs are for weird stories, not soul searching.
When people started dissing her in the comments her reaction was to write a self-aggrandizing entry: The Power of My Words. It was about her great responsibility as a Writer (that is capitalized on purpose). That one had the kiddies rolling too. You know someone is on crack if 8th graders can tell.
hey rach. . . i'll confess, i recently started a blog myself. and i am pilot testing it with close friends and family who i know care about my life. but as a grad student there doesn't seem to be much in the way of excitement, or at least anything anyone normal would think was exciting.
ReplyDeletebut i dutifully check your blog. because your life is interesting to me. i decided yesterday to accept a job in santiago, chile. i am moving there in a month! yikes! so i am intrigued at how other people (=you) are adapting to the solo life in a foreign country.
looks like you and i can be lonely blogger friends on different continents far away from everyone we know! and who knows, my track record with everywhere else i've lived tells me i shouldn't be surprised if you show up knocking at my door in santiago one evening :)