I know the year is not yet finished, but I just picked up David Copperfield from the library and do not anticipate beginning another book in the next month. Please note that teaching the Old Testament has really slowed me down, though I have read 500 pages of that over the past few months (and 200 pages of the manual...).
I finished reading Madame Bovary on Monday. Have you read it? I feel like it was Anna Karenina but not as good, though I shouldn't compare anyone to Tolstoy, and the low point of 2012 was when I found out that the new Anna Karenina movie was rated R. WHY?!?!?
Here are some other books I have read this year. I joined a book club so read one book with them that wasn't on my list; luckily I had already read the other books we are covering:
Dracula
1984
Brave New World
Catcher in the Rye
Far From the Madding Crowd
Count of Monte Cristo
The Three Musketeers
Madame Bovary
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close*
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling
This list seems incredibly short...I will blame the Old Testament and the fact that I now telework 2 days a week so I am taking the metro a lot less. As I have reflected on my year of reading, the real winner is Dumas. Wow, I loved his books! Who would have thought that after 1400 pages you'd be wanting more? I loved loved loved The Three Musketeers (even though I cannot find a copy of the movie anywhere!). Though Tolstoy won my heart last year, Dumas really entertained me.
There is a lot of Dickens on my list, and I have been putting him off. So many books to read still!! I am mostly dreading The Grapes of Wrath. ughh....
*this is the first modern book I have read in 2 years. It was perfect to read in Puerto Rico, though I realized modern literature is quite emotionally manipulative. I cried through the whole book whereas I think the only older book I have cried through was Les Mis. The end when Jean Val Jean goes through the baby clothes...wow...I was weeping on the airplane.
Why are you dreading "The Grapes of Wrath"?? Steinbeck is a favorite of mine...I find his descriptions of people and places to be quite beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI loved Their Eyes Were Watching God. You are my reading idol. Truly.
ReplyDeleteWhat did you think of Rough Stone Rolling? I started it, but then opted to hold off on reading it for a while. I'm not sure I'm prepared to dredge up my concerns about polygamy or other church history oddities. But I hear it is fabulously written.
ReplyDeleteWe have an animated "Three Musketeers" movie you can watch with John over Christmas. I'm glad you picket up Dad's reading gene and not mine. Missing you!
ReplyDelete