After giving the talk I think it is a lot more profound than I realized as I truly had little to do with it. And I also really felt that I needed to share it. Hopefully it is of some use to someone.
********
President Eyring said, "So, the great test of life is to see whether we will hearken to and obey God's commands in the mist of the storms of life. It is not to endure storms, but to choose the right while they rage. And the tragedy of life is to fail in that test and so fail to qualify to return in glory to our heavenly home."
This talk has really stuck with me because most of the time I see tragedies in life being when someone is sick or dies, but here President Eyring explains that if we are able to look at our mortality properly (with an eternal viewpoint), then we see that tragedies are really when people don’t choose God. Particularly while the storms rage.
This talk has really stuck with me because most of the time I see tragedies in life being when someone is sick or dies, but here President Eyring explains that if we are able to look at our mortality properly (with an eternal viewpoint), then we see that tragedies are really when people don’t choose God. Particularly while the storms rage.
This reminds me of the book of Alma. Here the Nephites and
Lamanites are in war for years and years (and chapters and chapters) and at the
end some of them took this trial and it made them bitter and they turned away
from God, and others were humbled by this trial and realized they had nowhere
to turn but God. This seems to be the dividing point in mortality: which one
will you choose.
Elder Scott said in April 2003 General Conference: “A fundamental
purpose of earth life is personal growth and attainment. Consequently, there must be times of trial
and quandary to provide opportunity for that development. His plan of happiness is conceived so that we
will have challenges, even difficulties, where decisions of great importance
must be made so that we can grow, develop, and succeed in this mortal
probation.”
I spent my last semester as a BYU undergrad doing an internship in
DC. I hoped that my internship would
turn in to full time employment and I could stay living in DC. My second week
of my internship my dreams came to fruition and I was offered a job! After
praying about taking the job I became confused for weeks…and eventually
realized that I was experiencing a stupor of thought. So I asked the Lord what
He would have me do instead, and I was told I needed to move back to Provo. And
thus began a long trend in my life of whatever I mock eventually happening to
me.
I returned to Provo to face a lot of criticism from some of my
friends and family. They told me I shouldn’t have been so scared to leave Provo
and that I should have taken that job. But I knew that I was where I was
supposed to be and I knew that God knew it, and I could not deny it. For months I applied for and was rejected by
jobs. I was depressed and frustrated, but still knew that I was doing what I was
supposed to do.
Back to Elder Scott: “You can learn to use faith more effectively
by applying this principle taught by Moroni: ‘Faith is things which are hoped
for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no
witness until after the trial of your
faith.’ Thus, every time you try your faith, that is, act in
worthiness on an impression, you will receive the confirming evidence of the Spirit.
As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of
uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not
obtain otherwise.”
This scripture meant a lot to me during this time as I could not
see why I needed to return to Provo. But I trusted God.
Of course, after four months of this I found a job. And that job
was great and I loved it. But what is more meaningful to me about this time in
my life is how, more than any other time in my life, I really came to know God.
That as I look back over my mortality thus far, I see this as the pivotal moment when I gained depth
of soul and a relationship with my maker.
Elder Scott says: “God uses your faith to mold your
character. Character is the
manifestation of what you are becoming. Strong moral character results from consistent
correct choices in the trials and testing of life. Your faith can guide you to those correct
choices. Only enough guidance is given
to lead you aright and not to weaken your growing character.”
One day during this experience I was tired of being so unhappy and
decided to do something about it. I had the house to myself and played “Be
Still My Soul” on repeat for six hours while reading my scriptures and praying.
At the end of that time period I had the most distinct impression of my life. The
Spirit said to me, “Rachel, these things that you think are ruining your life
are making your life what it needs to become.” I of course at the time thought
this meant I was being led to marriage or some exciting adventure. But I see
now that this experience instead led me to being something worthwhile: a person
of character.
A few years ago I had an idea (from the Spirit) that instead of
wasting my money on beach vacations, I would save the money that I would have frivolously
spent for the next few months and give it to my brother for Christmas as he was
in need of a minivan. This became what I affectionately called “the minivan
fund.”
A month after deciding to do this I found out my brother was
having a baby. This would be his fourth child and they would officially outgrow
their Saturn. I redoubled my efforts.
A couple of months later I found out my brother had cancer. Many people reached out to me, asking how they
could help. I told them about the minivan fund and people started adding money
to it. During this time I had a dream that I threw a Christmas party, and at
the party I was carrying around a bowl and people were putting cash in for the minivan.
So I took this as a sign and threw a Christmas party, telling people about the
minivan fund and leaving out the jars for donations. At the end of the night I had
made $60…which was nice, but I had spent more than that on the party, so in
reality it was a net loss for the minivan fund. I wondered why I had felt
guided to throw the party.
The next day I went to church and a guy approached me and handed me a check for $500. After that I received checks from roommates and co-workers and parents of roommates. Every time someone gave me a check I would cry. One day my roommate handed me an envelope that some girl that I did not know had given her for the minivan fund. I was shocked when I opened it and saw a check for $3000.
In the end I was able to give my brother a check for $9000. It took
me two hours on the phone to convince him to cash the check, even after
explaining that the money was not mine and if I kept it I would just end up
buying a massage chair.
Back to Elder Scott: “Why worry about future calamites or
uncertainties over which you have no control? When challenges and testing do
come, your faith will lead you to solutions. Your peace of mind, your assurance
of answers to vexing problems, your ultimate joy depend upon your trust in
Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ.”
What I like about the minivan fund story is that it did not solve
their problems. My brother still had cancer and my sister-in-law was still six
months pregnant with three crazy little boys and a sick husband. But that in
the middle of this—in the rage of their storm when they could wonder why God
had forsaken them—strangers had followed the prompting of the Spirit and in
that helped my brother’s family see that God had not forgotten them. He was
still there.
My sister-in-law even used this opportunity a year later to share
the gospel on NPR. She called in and talked about the situation and how they
felt they had been blessed because they had paid their tithing and fast
offerings; that the Lord had provided for them in their time of need. My sister
in law is a great example to me of choosing the Lord in times of trial.
Towards the end of the chemo, my sister in law wrote something on
her blog that I want to share:
“In the last few weeks, I
have often been reminded of Elder Holland's talk on angels in conference:
“My
beloved brothers and sisters, I testify of angels, both the heavenly and the
mortal kind. In doing so I am testifying that God never leaves us alone, never
leaves us unaided in the challenges that we face. “[N]or will he, so long as
time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man [or woman
or child] upon the face thereof to be saved.” On occasions, global or personal,
we may feel we are distanced from God, shut out from heaven, lost, alone in
dark and dreary places. Often enough that distress can be of our own making,
but even then the Father of us all is watching and assisting. And always there
are those angels who come and go all around us, seen and unseen, known and
unknown, mortal and immortal.
“I love this idea, and I loved it when I first heard this talk, but I can now also bear testimony that it is true. We have been helped by angels from God-- there is no other explanation.”
I
am often wowed by how any experience for any length of time—even for our entire
life—is worth it if through it we come to know God. Through my trials I have
come to know God. And I am ever grateful for the enabling power of the
Atonement through which I can overcome any trial because I have God on my side.
Beautiful! I love you even though you made me cry :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is very touching. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI take great comfort in knowing my hometeaching efforts over the last few months have turned you into the woman you are today.
ReplyDeleteThat was awesome! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteRachel, I am so glad I clicked on this today. Thank you for sharing. I wish you were in my ward.
ReplyDeleteRachel, you are amazing! Also, the reason you were supposed to move back to Provo is so that Scott and I would hang out and eventually get married.
ReplyDeleteThank you Rachel. Love you.
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome, Rachel. Miss having talks like this with you!
ReplyDeleteThis is a fabulous talk, Rach. And you are a fabulous person. So glad you posted this! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great talk. I am speaking this Sunday on how we can come to know our Savior and become one with him, so I'm glad I saw this! I need to get going on my talk, and this will help me. Love you so much, Rachel!
ReplyDeleteThis is a beautiful story. I think this is totally a memoir. The minivan story was my favorite.
ReplyDelete