Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Touring with the Tureks

After much anticipation, Gillian and Pat made it to DC last month! We had a grand time.

Our first stop was of course the temple!


After the temple we went right to the WolfTrap. I love WolfTrap. It is this outdoor theater and you can sit on the lawn and bring a picnic and eat during the show! We watched Mama Mia! and loved it...besides the fact that "Take a Chance on Me" was in my head for apx 1 month afterwards.


I love having guests in town because it gets me to do all of the touristy things. We went to Ford's Theater and honestly grew to love President Lincoln.


And of course the HIGHLIGHT of the trip for the Tureks was going to MEDIEVAL TIMES! I have wanted to go there since I was in middle school and my dream finally came true! come to find out it was Gillian's THIRD TIME! hahaha. Who knew she was so into it?


Before the show Bethany mentioned how she thought it lasted 4 hours...AHHH!! Thankfully she was wrong! We loved every second of it, of course.


Is it weird to come all the way to DC and spend your second night there at Medieval Times?

Sunday after Gillian and Pat were privileged to attend my marriage prep lesson we headed out to see the monuments at nighttime--#1 thing to do in DC!


I got a lot of grief for getting us to the monuments before it was dark...it's trickier doing this "monument walk at night" thing when it gets dark at 9 p.m. and the walk takes three hours and you have to work at 7:30 the next morning!!!!


But don't worry--it did get dark.


I LOVE FDR!


More time to think about how much we love Lincoln...


Sadly I had to go to work...though I found work relaxing compared to being a tourist! But after work we met up in Georgetown for some Ethiopian food.


Then we headed over to Hogwarts a.k.a. Georgetown University




We headed to the National Cathedral...it was my first time!


And believe it or not, that is a little gargoyle Darth Vader.


Perhaps the highlight of the trip was stopping by the Iwo Jima Memorial...


...and having a bus load of WWII veterans there. It was amazing.


Pat loved the Air Force Memorial.




We also ate gluten-free pizza, watched 30 Rock, went to my favorite Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse where Gillian was carded for the first time in her life, went paddle boating on the tidal basin...and so much more! It was a blast. Come back!

No comments:

Post a Comment