You may or may not know that I am obsessed with Rocky. This obsession led to the fateful Rocky Marathon of 2007 where my roommates and friends caught Rocky Fever. Law school buddy and China traveling companion Matt was there and has subsequently moved to Delaware and lives a mere 45 minutes from Rocky's home! He suggested we go up to Philly and see the Rocky sites--I readily agreed. Carrie Parker met us there from NYC and after arriving told us she had never actually seen the movie! haha! But she still had a great time (of course). We consulted totalrocky.com for addresses and places to see. Check it out! Might I also thank Russell for first introducing me to Rocky in Decmeber 1997 and forever changing my life.
Our Rocky Reality Tour guide told us to go to Independence Hall area because Rocky ran past it during his training montage in Rocky II. We also went because this was Parker's first time to Philly!

Waiting in line outside Independence Hall. This was my first trip to Philly in the winter and I must say the lines are so much shorter!!!! Worth it!

This is where anarchy happened! It was very moving to see, but then we thought about how British tourists feel when they come visit!

So in Rocky (I) he eats at super famous cheesesteak place Pat's. I actually never noticed this until we watched it Saturday, but they are there when his loan shark boss gives him money to train for the fight. Fun fact! Anyway, Pat's is very particular about how you order...great directions posted to help you out.

Delicious!

Matt has adopted traditional chinese pose in preparation of his permanent move to Hong Kong in September.

Snowmageddon 2010 remnants are helpful for photo shoots!

Philadelphia is a lucky place. Every time I go I find miracle parking spots and on Saturday after eating lunch we were all talking about how we wanted Root Beer but there were no stores in sight! then on this random intersection I saw two vending machines with A&W Root Beer for $.50! Miracle!

Of course we had to go to the infamous Rocky Steps!

Sly's footprints at the top of the steps!

For never having seen the movie before, Carrie sure caught the Rocky spirit!

Running down the steps (we also ran up them--promise!)

Statue presented to Rocky in Rocky III (a.k.a. "the robot Rocky"). It was on the top of the steps for a while but removed and then brought back to the side when Rocky VI came out in 2006.

This was Mighty Mick's Gym where Rocky would train...now a grocery store? but you can see the Rocky tribute graffiti.

This is the pet shop where Adrian worked...and where Rocky told his infamous joke "why do cows wear bells? Because their horns don't work!"

Before driving to Philly Saturday morning Matt and I watched the training montage of Rocky (I) and noted how we had to go and find the "trash streets"...wasn't hard to do.

After so much Philadelphia excitement we went to Matt's house in Delaware and watched Rocky! It was amazing as always. Best part was that Parker loved it!
That's awesome! I remember watching Rocky with you when we lived together - you were my first exposure. How fun that you got to see Carrie and Matt!
ReplyDeleteI just want to say hi to my girlfriend, OK? Yo, Adrian! It's me, Rocky.
ReplyDelete"Eye of the Tiger" came on the other day while we were driving, and I (gasp!) flipped past it. Josh was outraged. "I was listening to that song, mom!" So we turned it back and loved it. And I naturally thought of you, and how I never comment on anyone's blog because I always read with one hand, and thought I should comment on the amazingness of this tour and how Rocky makes me think of you.
ReplyDelete