My roommate’s mom had lost the Christmas spirit. Last week she was talking to my roommate, and my roommate relayed the following story to her. Her mom said this re-awakened within her the magic of Christmas, and it is for this purpose that I share.In June I decided to buy my brother a minivan.
This came about as I was contemplating whether to join my friends for a weekend trip to the Caribbean. It would be fun, it would be very short, and it would cost me about $800. I decided this was a poor use of a great deal of money, and instead I should put the money towards a much needed minivan for my brother and his family. I told my parents about the idea and my dad said he would match my contribution.
A couple of months later I found out that James was having a fourth child—meaning that come April they will officially outgrow their Saturn. I redoubled my efforts.
Last month James got diagnosed with cancer. After people found out they wanted to help. I started receiving daily calls and emails from James’ close friends, saying they cared about James and wanted to help and offering financial assistance. I was so touched by their great love for my brother.
I also had a dream that I hosted a Christmas party and at the party people were contributing a lot of money to the minivan fund. I took this dream as a sign and threw a Christmas party. A week before the party I sent out an email to all of the invitees explaining the minivan fund and telling them that at the party there would be a jar to donate money if they felt so inclined. At the end of the party only $60 had been raised.
But then the next day at church someone in my ward approached me, asked how my brother was doing, and handed me $500. Shortly thereafter my roommate gave me $250 and her mother donated more than she can afford. Another roommate’s parents gave me a large check, and then a co-worker, and then more friends. Bethany received a phone call from a girl in our ward whom I have never met. The girl said she had heard about the minivan fund and wanted to contribute. When she saw Bethany the next night she handed her an envelope. On the way to work Bethany said “oh yeah—I forgot to give you this” and gave me the envelope. I opened it and had to read it at least ten times until I realized it really was for $3000.
And the money keeps coming in. Daily I am approached by people I know well and don’t know at all, offering support to someone they do not even know—to my brother.
While pondering why on earth anyone would give so much money to a stranger, I realized that miracles are real, but that so often God works miracles through other people. Indeed, I feel like at this season the windows of heaven are being opened, and there is not room enough to receive it. I am so grateful for those who have followed the whisperings of the spirit to serve.
Merry Christmas!
THat is incredible! $3000 from a complete stranger?! wow. THanks for sharing this story...we continue to pray for him.
ReplyDeleteWow - what a great story Rachel. I need to do my part of the deal now! None of this Christmas miracle would have happened without you putting your idea and dream into action.
ReplyDeleteLove Dad
I loved the story and that fact that it is real and personal makes it all the more special. So did you get the minivan yet? When you do please post a picture of James and his family by it.
ReplyDeleteThis made me tear up. I wish I was in a position to help financially, but please know your family is in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteI've heard this story a few times now, and every time I hear it I get emotional. Thanks for sharing! God really watches out for those in need.
ReplyDeleteI like the part about Bethany casually handing you $3,000
ReplyDeleteChristmas is not about how much you spend getting that one gift that your child, wife, husband, mother, brother, father, son, daughter, sister were eyeing months ago wishing and hoping you would buy it. It is about love and people. It is about caring for all and everyone who you love and know to those who you may not know personally but, might have a need or concern that is beyond their expectations, and dreams. The love of God and the heart of man is an awesome combination. There are modern day miracles, they are seen everyday - and they are manifested by the random acts of kindness of strangers, friends and family. Believe. Love those who you cherish most, open your hearts to those who seem to be unworthy, and always praise God for his wonderful insight and love.I am amongst those who have nothing to give monetarily - my prayers and heaven's blessings are all I can offer. God bless you and your unselfish acts of love and caring.
ReplyDeleteRachel, we are so grateful for this selfless gift on your part and on the part of all those who have shared. It is a marvelous Christmas story that truly reflects the spirit of Christ. Emily and James's prayers for a van have been answered by good hearts.
ReplyDeleteHow totally awesome is this?!?! So great! I hope your brother is doing all right.
ReplyDelete