There was one thing about D.C. in particular that blew my mind--a certain cab brand name:
Cab Ass'n? Seriously? For weeks I would walk to work and see these cabs, wondering how they could get away with having profanity on the side of their cab (I read it Cab Ass N).One day I was on a monument walk with some of my Barlow Center friends. This was the first time I'd hung out with Janae and I mentioned to her the cabs and how weird they were. She looked at me and said "it stands for association." Oh!
After that, we colloquialized the slang term "cabass'n"
Special thanks to Bethany for taking this picture last week on her iPhone.
Is there anything good that DIDN'T come from the Barlow Center?
ReplyDeleteI love the DuPont ones most. During my internship, I had to fill out a spreadsheet with names of faith based groups and I would use "Ass'n" instead of "Assoc." like normal people. THANKS CABASSN!
ReplyDeleteLeave it to you to make a catchphrase stick. My sister still uses Overshare. Ever since she heard about it, she always talks about what a perfect descriptor it is.
ReplyDeleteI can't even tell you how cool it was to see you in Red Mango of all places.
I know I've shown you my mission picture in front of the Faith Ass. Church
ReplyDeleteSo disappointing to learn it stands for association . . . what else would it stand for, I don't know, but still . . . Not nearly as funny, but have you seen the semis out there with GOD written HUGELY on the side? And then in teeny tiny letters it says at the bottom "Guaranteed Overnight Delivery." One of my faves.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry... I thought the exact same thing when I first read it... I remember thinking... wow, they must think they're hard core cab drivers or something... it seemed kind of crude for a city like D.C.... but then... I too eventually figured it out! :) Glad I wasn't the only one.
ReplyDeleteStraight out of T6 in Bluebook.
ReplyDelete