Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

I was thinking today about this quote:

"Humility and gratitude are truly the twin characteristics of happiness." -- Bishop Richard C. Edgley

I have found this to be true.

So, in the spirit of the pursuit of happiness and Thanksgiving tradition, I would like to share a few things for which I am grateful:

I am so grateful I have a job. I think the Lord is very clever to give me a job and then also make me completely broke so that at first when I didn't like it and wanted to quit I couldn't!

I am grateful for amazing friends. Once I was talking to a friend and lamenting how annoying I was and she asked me if I really felt that way and I replied "I figure my friends are great enough that I can't be all that bad." I love them all so severely that it's a bit overwhelming.

I am so grateful for my family. I am sad we can't all be together at Thanksgiving...and it breaks my heart that I don't know when we'll all be together again (maybe Waterton this summer?). I love my family and am just too happy for that AND that I adore both of my sisters-in-law. People always tell stories of bad in-laws and I can never relate.

Most of all, I am grateful for my relationship with my Heavenly Father. A number of years ago I thought my life was pretty bad. I had felt like I needed to move to Provo after rejecting a job offer in D.C. So I lived there for about four months without a job. I always complain about having to go to work, but let me tell you, being unemployed is much worse! I was very sad and everything in my life seemed to be going wrong. A few days before Thanksgiving I was walking around BYU campus and contemplated how I had nothing to be grateful for. And then I realized that I had a relationship with my Heavenly Father and a knowledge of the gospel and of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Of nothing could I ever be more grateful. And it is through that relationship and understanding of which I was so grateful that I was able to find happiness again.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for you gratitude list! I loved it...Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you,too. I am very grateful for you!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, but think of all the time you had to throw parties when you were unemployed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Rachel. Hope you had a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only are you un-annoying, you are inspiring. Two posts in a row that make me want to try to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete