Monday, December 31, 2007

Can't sleep because I'm thinking about the Iowa Caucus

Oh how I miss those days during the finals weeks of my D.C. summer internship when I ran out of work to do and spent 6 hours a day reading the Washington Post online!

The Iowa Caucus is in 4 days. I was trying to sleep, but couldn't stop thinking about partisan issues--none of which am I going to discuss now.

To celebrate the Caucus, Russell suggested we have a party! Everyone will have to nominate their candidate, and they have to get at least 15% (as per the actual rules). It should be pretty good. I'm still trying to figure it all out. I think I was ruined when my senior government teacher showed us a lot of SNL skits making fun of presidential candidates and said "why would anyone ever want this job?" I realized he was right, and the only people that run for president are power hungry. But maybe I'm wrong--at least my recent love for the West Wing has taught me that. I'd never seen the show until two weeks ago when Russell introduced me to it and we were able to watch all of season 2. Why can't President Bartlet just run?

2 comments:

  1. Amen sister! Brian and I were just talking about these issues in bed a couple of nights ago. We were saying wanting to be the president is like really wanting to be bishop. You really have to wonder about someone who wants that type of job. I mean you have no privacy, no moment's peace, everyone has an opinion on what you are doing and how you should do it and someone is always bound to hate you. YUCK, no thanks. I'm really curious, however, as to who you are voting for...Barack? (Incidentally, if you don't watch 30 Rock, you really should. They have an excellent one where Jenna is trying to prove she isn't un-American wherein Obama is mentioned.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sad that we're missing the Iowa caucus party. Throw in a straw for us! And the West Wing is an amazing show--I'm surprised that you didn't discover it until recently! Loved seeing you here in Austin!

    ReplyDelete