Thursday, January 11, 2007

The family that bowls together, stays together

I always considered myself an unskilled bowler. Luckily a few days before I went home I went bowling on a date and my score doubled on the second game to a 104 – and I won! Amazed, I thought of how my brother Russell spent an entire summer bowling, and how my brother John was doing bowling with the Special Olympics. I mentioned to my mother that perhaps we should go bowling as a family over the break. Everyone agreed, especially my most enthusiastic almost 3-year old nephew, Harris (though when I asked Harris if he knew what bowling was, he remained silent…).

Before we went actual bowling, we did some bowling on Russell’s new Nintendo Wii. I beat everyone (though as you can tell from this photo John was catching on). I was excited that I had discovered my skill at virtual bowling, but admitted that Russell would kill me when it came to actual bowling.

So we all went, minus my father who I guess doesn’t like to bowl! It was amazing. I suppose my favorite part was when John got a strike (I’ll have to add that video to the blog) or when I was tied with my brother James for first place and then choked on the last frame by finishing with two gutter balls and James finished with a strike! But we really shouldn’t have worried, because halfway through Russell decided to actually try to win and killed us all!!

Of course, nothing will compare to watching John patiently endure his nephews acting like he usually acts: screaming, demanding candy, running onto other people’s bowling lanes and trying to pick up balls that are way too heavy (okay – I guess John doesn’t really struggle with that last one). The babies were screaming, John was sitting there looking slightly annoyed - we were a loud crowd. But the only one who actually got chastised over the loudspeaker was my mom!! When Harris bowled and his gutter ball stopped halfway down the lane, my mom walked down the middle thing only employees are supposed to walk on to push the ball down the rest of the way. The high-school employees quickly asked her to not do it again.

All in all, an excellent time!

1 comment:

  1. Why can't you see the cows in the family picture?

    ReplyDelete